Why do organizations need flexibility?
Roshni / 09 Oct 2018
Having a flexible working environment, you can expand your recruitment to a large extent and increase the talent who approach your company. Job seekers who have a flexible mindset are highly valued by employers and now the emerging workforce expects the same from organizations.
Flexibility is the degree of acceptance in organizations and handling it in an optimized manner to enhance work productivity. Practicing flexibility makes organizations respond to unexpected demands faster and better. Consistency in work can be stabilized even during the chaos in flexible organizations.
Flexibility is the key to find that balance between career and personal life. Organizations who practice flexibility in their workplace have improved the mental health of employees thereby boosting their performance. It has become an important aspect prospective and existing employees evaluate the organizations on.
“Being a great place to work is the difference between being a good company and a great company.”
How to start with :
Having a flexible working environment, you can expand your recruitment to a large extent and you have greater chances of recruiting talented employees. Job seekers who have a flexible mindset are highly valued by employers and now the emerging workforce expects the same from organizations.
- Open mindset: Willing to work more even if it is out of their job specifications to accomplish a project.
- Changing their viewpoint and actions according to their team members, stakeholders, managers and circumstances and being consistent in work.
- Supporting co-workers with their tasks and assignments when they are ill or going through a personal crisis.
- Flexible to work for additional hours during a year-end crisis or critical situations.
- Being responsible for the work assigned to them and accomplishing it without blaming the situations and obstacles.
- Enabling employees to be comfortable with practicing their work-style to complete their tasks and getting it finished can increase the effectiveness of management and contribute to the growth of the organization.
- Employees are more productive when they are given autonomy.
- Managers who allow employees to follow their passion, choose their career path and projects, get benefited with high success and could attract talented individuals.
- Managers should evaluate employee needs, support them, give feedback and reward to help them bring the best out of them.
- Being flexible with freshers can help them build a strong foundation in their career.
10 Workplace Flexibility approaches:
- Work time flexibility: Letting employees work for the specified time without being strict with their arrival and departure time.
- Allowing employees to telecommute when expedient.
- Following a compressed work week pattern (like 4 days-10 hrs ).
- Providing flexibility for working parents can help them balance work and parenting.
- Job sharing for a particular position to encourage qualified part-time job seekers.
- Allowing employees to take breaks in between working hours helps them to be more productive. It helps them to be stress-free, think about how to fix problems, evaluate their work, connect with their co-workers and stay healthy.
- Letting employees follow their hobbies, sports and trying to bring them into the office will increase employee happiness.
- Set limits for meetings. Executives have proved that 67% of meetings are failures, unproductive and a waste of time, so the effectiveness of the meetings should be more than the number of meetings.
- Responding to customers irrespective to the workload, surveying, taking up criticism and modifying services to bring in an effective sales pitch.
- Allowing employees to share their oversight with colleagues so that repetition in mistakes can be avoided and employees can come up with different ideas to fix a problem.
How flexibility beautifies the workplace and workers:
When the organization cares and values about the well being of employees, Employees are motivated to work better, to contribute their best for the growth of the organization. They have a higher job satisfaction which increases the bond they have with their team and Employee Morale which in turn increases the Company Reputation. All these play an important role in the organization’s turnover and helps with retaining great employees.
Flexibility is typically allowing the employees to accomplish their task in their way, but when that flexibility doesn’t fetch you with desired results then it should be monitored and reiterated. Make sure that your employees are aware of the existing boundaries so that they don’t take it for granted. Flexibility practices should be regularly checked so that it doesn’t become an unnecessary threat to the organization.
Tell us how important you think flexibility is for your organization in the comments.